Saturday, May 7, 2011

Useless College Courses

Illustrating for magazines and newspaper has its perks. Having to read all those articles and doing my own research for any given project, I find that I am able to carry on a good conversation about politics, people, business scams and all sorts of news and world events. On the down side, these projects sometimes come last minute and require you think fast and work efficiently.

One of my favourite clients to work with is BusinessWeek because their last minute assignment always gives my brain a good workout. By last minute, I mean roughs by 4 pm and final due in the morning (though once in a while, I do get the weekends :-)). This particular assignment was about useless college courses. I illustrated “Turf and Turf Grass Management” which was 1 of the 3 useless courses mentioned in the article.

Here were my roughs/concepts:


Tips: When working on a tight deadline, I spend 1/3 of the time brainstorming with words, the other 1/3 of the time doing image research, and the remaining time sketching out my ideas.

Here is my process work and the final illustration:


So despite the time limitations with this project, I still managed to have lots of fun drawing the students in the background. I was always a serious student in college but a bit of a sleeper as well.

So.. what type of student were you?



Thanks for dropping by & Happy Mothers Day!

C

2 comments:

David R. Vallejo said...

Excellent work and fascinating look into the business. Thanks for sharing your process.

http://davidrvallejo.com/
http://davidrvallejo.com/

Christina Ung said...

Thanks David!